Heralding Freedom of the Press Since 2003
Purple Glaze On the Highwayz
The Internal Revenue Service and the estate administrator established the value of Prince's estate, Paisley Park, at $156.40 million. The pop star died without a will, and his six surviving siblings were designated as his heirs. Courtesy Paisley Park
Minn. highway honors Prince's legacy
ST. PAUL, Minn.—The late pop superstar Prince will have a highway named after him in his home state, following a vote by Minnesota lawmakers May 4.
The Senate vote was 55-5 to rename the highway that runs past Prince's Paisley Park museum and studios. Among those watching was his oldest sister, Sharon Nelson. The bill passed the House unanimously last month on the seventh anniversary of Prince's death, and now goes to Gov. Tim Walz, who is expected to sign.
Purple signs will soon go up along a seven-mile stretch of State Highway 5 in the Minneapolis suburbs of Chanhassen and Eden Prairie — designating it the Prince Rogers Nelson Memorial Highway. Prince's friends and fans are footing the bill, said the lead sponsor, Republican
Sen. Julia Coleman, of Waconia.
“Prince was a true genius, a visionary artist who pushed the boundaries of music and cultures in ways that will never be forgotten," Coleman told her fellow senators. "His influence can be heard in the work of countless musicians who came after him, and his legacy continues to inspire new generations of artists to this day.”
Paisley Park, where Prince lived and recorded, now draws visitors from around the world.
Paisley Park is also where Prince died on April 21, 2016, of an accidental fentanyl overdose at age 57. The 65,000-square-foot complex in Chanhassen is now a museum run by his estate as well as an event venue and recoding studio.
Sharon Nelson told reporters her brother’s music will live forever and that his spirt “sneaks up on me some- times.” And she urged fans to take the tour and see his 3,000 shoes on display.
The idea to name the highway after Prince came three years ago from Mark Webster, a longtime friend of the star who works security at Paisley Park. He was among the fans who gathered at the Minnesota Capitol to celebrate the vote. He said they'll find a date that works for fans soon for the signs to go up.
Prince's birthday was June 7, but he didn't celebrate birthdays because he was a Jehovah's Witness by faith.
The singer, songwriter, arranger and instrumentalist broke through in the late 1970s and was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2004. He created hits including “Little Red Corvette,” ″Let’s Go Crazy” and “When Doves Cry,” and sold more than 100 million records worldwide.
Several years ago, Prince's 1984 “Purple Rain” was added by the Library of Congress for preservation in the National Film Registry.
After a six-year legal battle that consumed tens of millions of dollars, the Internal Revenue Service and the estate administrator put the value of his estate at $156.4 million. Since Prince died without a will, his six surviving siblings at the time of his death were designated as his heirs. The three youngest eventually sold most of their interests to the music company Primary Wave.
Actor Jussie Smollett, found guilty in a Chicago criminal court, Dec. 9, 2021, on five of six counts of staging a hate crime, faces up to three years in prison. Screen grab
Found guilty of
staging hate crime
By DAVE BYRNES / December 9, 2021
CHICAGO (CN) — Former “Empire” star Jussie Smollett was convicted of criminal disorderly conduct Thursday for falsely reporting to police that he was the victim of a hate crime.
The openly gay, Black actor was found guilty on five of six counts of violating the section of Illinois’ disorderly conduct law that prohibits false reports to police, after claiming he was attacked in Chicago on Jan. 29, 2019. He was only found not guilty of falsely reporting an aggravated battery; a follow-up report he made to detectives two weeks after the attack.
Smollett faces up to three years in prison, though Smollett’s lead defense attorney Nenye Uche said it is unlikely he will serve prison time given his lack of criminal history and the relatively mild charges.
“This is a class 4 felony. It’s right above a misdemeanor,” Uche said following the trial. The jury deliberated for over nine hours, beginning Wednesday afternoon, before reaching its decision. The road leading to the verdict begins in mid-January 2019, when Smollett received a bigoted hate letter on the set of “Empire” from an unknown sender. The letter depicted Smollett hanging from a tree and called him a “faggot nigger."
“We were obviously all very upset. No one would think that Jussie … would be the subject of this hate mail,” showrunner Brett Mahoney testified on Monday. Mahoney said Monday that he and other members of the “Empire” crew chose not to make the letter public. He added that they did increase Smollett’s security, something that vexed the actor.
As an escape, both from security and the pressures of performing, Smollett said he would often do drugs with his friend Abimbola Osundairo. Smollett met Abimbola—who he called “Bola” or “Bon”—while he was working as a background actor on the set of “Empire.”
“I liked it. It got me away from everything else, so to speak,” Smollett said.
Here the narratives offered by the state prosecutors and defense attorneys in the case begin to differ. According to the prosecution, Smollett and Abimbola’s relationship was purely platonic. Prosecutors claimed that, frustrated by the studio’s response to the hate letter and perhaps angling for higher pay, Smollet recruited Abimbola, and later Abimbola’s older brother Olabinjo, to help him carry out a hoax hate attack. The goal, Abimbola said in his Monday testimony, was to attract media attention.
“Who was the audience?” defense attorney Shay Allen asked Abimbola last Thursday. “According to Jussie, the media,” Abimbola replied.
Olabinjo corroborated his brother’s statement in his own testimony.
“He went on to explain that he got some hate mail ... and had this crazy idea of getting attacked by two Trump supporters so he could post it on social media,” Olabinjo told prosecutor Samuel Mendenhall.
The brothers testified that they met Smollett at a prearranged spot in Chicago around 2 a.m. on Jan. 29, shouted racist and homophobic slurs at him, poured bleach on his clothes and wrapped a rope around his face, all while dressed as Donald Trump supporters. Following this attack, prosecutors said Smollett altered the appearance of the rope to look more like a noose and hampered the subsequent police investigation by withholding evidence such as his phone and medical records. The lead investigator in the case, former Chicago Police Department detective Michael Theis, said this only increased investigators’ suspicion that the hate crime was a hoax.
“At the end of the investigation, we determined that the alleged hate crime was actually a staged event,” Theis said in his testimony on Nov. 30, later adding, "Everything was way too coincidental."
Smollett’s defense team gives a different account. In their version of events, the Osundairo brothers were con men who saw Smollett as a mark for favors. Defense attorneys also put forward the idea that Olabinjo may been violently homophobic, based both on his 2011 conviction for aggravated battery and on texts he sent a friend in which he calls an unnamed man a “fruity ass” and says he’s “done with gaylords.”
“They were wolves in the hen house,” defense attorney Nenye Uche said Wednesday in closing arguments.
According to the defense, Smollett was legitimately targeted by the Osundairo brothers either working alone or with a third, unnamed White individual, perhaps as part of a scheme to have him hire them on as bodyguards.
“You attacked Jussie, because you wanted to scare him into hiring you as security … so you could move back to L.A. and get that $5,000 a week salary,” Allen said to Abimbola on Thursday, who denied the accusation.
Regardless of the narrative, the next chapter in the case is undisputed. Based on testimony from the Osuandairo brothers and the results of Theis’ investigation, a Cook County grand jury indicted Smollett on 16 counts of felony disorderly conduct in March of 2019. Those counts were quickly dropped by the Cook County’s State’s Attorney’s Office. It later became public that the Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx dropped the charges because she thought Smollett was a “washed up celeb” who had been over-charged.
Unsatisfied, the county convened another grand jury and charged Smollett with six new counts of felony disorderly conduct in February of 2020. Chicago attorney Dan Webb and his legal team from the law firm Winston & Strawn were chosen to act as special state prosecutors in Foxx’s stead.
This decision was followed by a year of attorney meetings and discovery and eight days of trial, but now the nearly three-year legal drama has come to a close. Both the prosecution and defense spent the final moments of their closing arguments Wednesday urging the jury to see their side of the story.
Webb said finding Smollett guilty was only common sense, given the weight of evidence against him. “When you decide this case as a jury, you are allowed to use your common sense,” he said.
Uche, meanwhile, urged the jurors not to condemn a man he said he truly believed was innocent. “I need constitutional warriors in that jury room because I can’t speak in there,” he said.
Presiding Cook County Judge James Linn dismissed the jury after they reached their verdict, thanking them for their hard work. Linn also released Smollett on a recognizance bond, choosing not to turn him over to police custody. Smollett left the Cook County Courthouse with his family without giving a statement.
In a press conference following the trial, Webb told reporters that he and his legal team worked pro bono. “We made the decision, if we’re gonna do this, we’re gonna do it for the public,” Webb said.
He also said, alleging that Smollett lied on the witness stand, that he would bring up the issue of perjury at Smollett’s sentencing hearings. Uche maintained that his client did not lie on the stand, but is “absolutely, 100 percent innocent.” He told reporters that they plan to appeal the jury’s decision, which he called “inconsistent.”
“We feel 100% confident this case will be won on appeal,” he said.
A spokeswoman for the Osundairo brothers also gave a statement, in which she said that she and her clients regretted the events leading to this trial, but that they were confident people would forgive Smollett in time.
“You are still your mother’s child. … People will forgive you … just come clean,” the spokeswoman said.
No sentencing date was set Thursday night. Judge Linn and the lawyers will convene Jan. 27 to discuss that and other next steps.
Investigation continues into Inglewood murder of rapper Slim 400
INGLEWOOD (CNS)—The investigation was continuing today into the killing of Compton rapper Slim 400, who was gunned down in Inglewood.
The shooting was reported about 8 p.m. Wednesday at Manchester Boulevard and Seventh Avenue. The Los Angeles County coroner's office on Friday identified the slain man as 34-year-old Vincent Cochran Jr.
Paramedics sent to the location at the request of Inglewood police took the mortally wounded man to a hospital, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department. Police have not released details of their investigation into the killing.
According to CBS2, officers on patrol heard the gunshots and responded to find a man on the ground with gunshot wounds. TMZ.com reported that the rapper apparently was shot as he sat in a vehicle in a driveway.
According to TMZ, Slim was born to military parents in Germany, moved to Los Angeles as a young child and was raised in Compton. The rapper was later discovered and signed by the now-nonexistent Pu$haz Ink music label
—the same one made popular by YG and DJ Mustard.
"Slim narrowly escaped death back in the summer of 2019 when he was shot nine times in L.A.," TMZ reported. "Slim claimed he was ambushed in the attack while visiting family in Compton."
City News Service